Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Social Media Masturbation

Aside from a few luminaries like Stephen Fry or Michael Buckley, most people on Twitter who have large followings seem to be tweeting about social networking, specifically about Twitter itself. I am curious: What percentage of tweets are actually about Twitter?

In noticing this, I thought I would post a satirical tweet to an imaginary Twitterer, @selfreferential. Until I checked and there actually is a user called @selfreferential. And what does he/she post about? Twitter, of course. Exclusively.

It makes me wonder, does social networking create much real social value? Or is it just meta-social. Among users with small followings (like me) it seems to be mostly about trading quips with friends, or linking to some article or video of mutual interest. But the big mucky-mucks (twicky-twits) - what social value are they creating?

How boring would it be to have a meeting to talk about having meetings? Or meet for lunch to talk about lunch? It's sort of like watching the cable channel that explains how to use your cable box. That's entertainment!

So here I am, gibbering about Twitter. Je suis hypocrite!

Oh, and @buckhollywood just tweeted that he is having diet pepsi for lunch. I wonder if they are paying him? At least it wasn't about twitter.

2 comments:

John Lacey said...

While it is true that social media is somewhat enamored with itself (and celebrated by a hoard of self-proclaimed "social media experts"), I think there is a place for reflection upon a medium or technology - especially in its infancy. I used to rage against how YouTube-centric most YouTube videos were, but I realised that much of the YouTube experience was just about figuring out for yourself what this technology was and what its applications might be.

I do tend to think most instruction on social media is a waste of energy. Just get in there and experiment, because each person has a different relationship to it and the only way to discover yours is to experiment. The good news is you'll get feedback, very quickly too.

Personally I've found I've developed relationships with people who I have known in no other context (including other websites and technologies). I can even hook up with my YouTube friends without the sometimes arduous task of video creation. You develop an understanding of the time and cultural differences, and begin to understand the routines of other people's lives.

I like it.

Phil Davis said...

I like it very much, and it works for me. But I get a little skeptical of some of the messianic twitterers who believe Twitter will solve the problems of the world. I think it is great, but outside of my circle of friends who are active in many social networking sites, most people I encounter have no idea what it is.